How to Create or Edit a Product:
- Select "Recipe" from the menu bar.
- Select "Products" from the dropdown menu.
- To edit an existing product, search for the product namein the search box provided and click the magnifying glass icon. Alternatively, you can filter the list using the icon to the right of the magnifying glass and choose whether the status is "All", "Active", or "Inactive" or a specific Sales Group. You can also filter by multiple sales groups by clicking the icon to the right of the sales group dropdown and clicking the checkboxes for the groups you want to include.
- Click the name of the product you want to edit.
- To create a new product, click the "New Product" button located near the top left-hand side of the page.
- Enter the information as shown below.
Description Enter a description of your product (often a name). This can be the same as on the POS or you can name it slightly different to suit your purposes. Sales Group Enter the Sales Group to which the product belongs. This can match the POS or can be more specific. Barcode Enter any assigned barcode to the product (optional). This is for retail in most instances. POS ID# Enter an assigned point-of-sale ID to the product. This is the linking number to the POS system. POS Description Enter an assigned point-of-sale description for the product. This is the exact description on the POS system. This description does not necessarily have to be the same as the Optimum Control description, but the POS description MUST match the POS so a mismatch error does not occur. This is to prevent recipes being linked to the wrong items on the POS if changes are made. Selling Price Enter the price you charge your customers for the product. This is what you sell the item for. All reporting will be listed as the average of what was sold to what was received but this number is the selling price on your menu. Cost Percent Enter the percentage of your selling price taken by costs. For calculation purposes you can enter the desired cost percentage to have Optimum Control calculate the desirable selling price. Gross Percent Enter the percentage of your selling price in profit margin. Another way to calculate selling price is by indicating the gross percentage. Tax Group Enter the assigned tax group for the product (optional). This will apply taxes to the selling price of the product to calculate the amount including tax. This is used generally if selling retail products and does not affect the POS and is only for Optimum Control reporting.
Three (3) tabs are located near the top right-hand corner of the "Create/Edit Product" page. Each of these tabs provide additional sections for you to enter information about your product. You may move between these tabs at any time by clicking each tab.
Ingredients Displays a list of all ingredients in your product. This listing includes the Item Description, Quantity, UOM (Units of Measure), and Cost. Concepts Displays a listing of the concepts assigned to your product. You may re-assign a concept, enable, or disable the concept, or assign a product as a key item. Enable or disable any checkboxes that apply. Instructions Displays your written instructions provided for the product and a product image (if provided).
The Ingredients tab features three (3) buttons: Add Item, Add Prep, and Add Product. You may add any combination of items, preps, and already existing products to a new product by selecting the respective option.
How to Add an Item, Prep, or Existing Product to a Product
- Click either the Add Item, Add Prep, or Add Product button depending on which one you would like to add.
- Enter the first few characters of the item, prep, or product you would like to add and click "Search".
- Select the item, prep or product you would like to add from the search results listing.
- Edit the Quantity, UOM (Units of Measure). The cost will be calculated automatically.
- Click "Save."
The Concepts tab in the "Create/Edit Product" page allows you to edit the same parameters as the Concepts tab located in the "Prep Detail" page. You may re-assign a concept, enable or disable the concept, or assign a product as a key item. Enable or disable any checkboxes that apply.
You may provide detailed written recipe instructions for your product in the large text field provided. This field functions in a similar manner as a word processor or text editor. Alternatively, you may import a pre-written set of recipe instructions by clicking the "Browse" button located below the words "Import Instructions". Your file must be in a Microsoft Word format (.doc or .docx). You can also cut and paste form a text document and format in this window.
How to Attach an Image to Your Product
- Click the "Browse" button located in the "Image" section near the bottom of the page.
- Choose an image file from your hard drive to associate with your product (.jpg, .gif)
- To preserve any of the changes you've made to the Instructions tab, click the "Save" button located in the top left-hand corner.